Specialist High Skills Major
What is a Specialist High Skills Major?
What are they?
Specialist High Skills Majors let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). Students receive the SHSM seal on their diploma when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student’s selected field
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job through cooperative education placements.
Who is it for?
Grade 11 and 12 students who:
- Are planning a pathway to an apprenticeship, college, university, or into the workplace.
- Want to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
What does an SHSM do for students?
Pursuing an SHSM enables students to:
- gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school
- earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications.
Students who successfully complete an SHSM receive:
- an Ontario Secondary School Diploma with an embossed red seal
- an SHSM Record documenting his/her achievement
- formal recognition on his/her Ontario Student Transcript
At Forest Heights Collegiate Institute, SHSMs are available in the following sectors: Arts and Culture & Information and Communication Technology.
Arts & Culture SHSM Program
More information: Requirements and Occupations for the SHSM – Arts and Culture