“The only thing that is constant is change.”
Forest Heights is pleased to offer an enriched learning experience for students in the FHCI boundary.
INNOVATE is focused on the development and enhancement of communication and collaboration skills in a 21st century context, while providing students with opportunities to be drivers of innovation throughout their high school career.
Applying to INNOVATE
In order to be considered for INNOVATE, please complete the following three steps before Friday, January 17th, 2020:
Step 1: Complete the on-line Student Application Form in full. This form will be available beginning on Monday , November 18th, 2019.
Step 2: Obtain a reference from one of your current grade eight teachers. Teachers are asked to complete the on-line Teacher Reference Form .
Step 3: Submit a copy of your final grade seven report card and a copy of your grade eight progress report. These reports can be emailed to Elizabeth_Minaker@wrdsb.ca, mailed to the school to the attention of Elizabeth Minaker, or delivered in person to the FHCI guidance department.
We look forward to considering future Trojans for this unique opportunity. Candidates will be notified by Monday, January 27th, 2020.
- Students learn in specialized classes with fellow INNOVATE students in grades 9 to 12.
- Students participate in various enrichment and co-curricular activities designed to foster and strengthen creativity, collaboration, and communication.
- Starting in grade 9, students work towards earning either a Bronze standard in the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh’s Award program. See the link at the bottom of the page for more information.
Throughout the INNOVATE program, course content will progressively focus on key themes related to innovation and change. Students will respond to and drive change with a focus on:
- Analytical Thinking
- Role of Technology and Social Media
- Local and Global Citizenship
INNOVATE Focus Courses
Grade 9: Academic English (ENG 1DN), Academic Science (SNC 1DN)
Grade 10: Academic English (ENG 2DN), INNOVATE Technology (TGJ 2ON)
Grade 11: University English (ENG 3UN)
Grade 12: University English (ENG 4UN)
- Each semester, INNOVATE students will participate in an activity that brings students from all the grades together around a specific program theme (e.g. Symposium or field trip).
- At each grade, students will be provided with dedicated time to complete a self-directed project.
- INQUIRE (grade 9) – discover what you are passionate about
- IMAGINE (grade 10) – create and pitch creative solutions for school or local issues
- ILLUMINATE (grade 11) – reflect on yourself as a learner and analytical thinker
- INSPIRE (grade 12) – chart a course to impact the world
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award is a self-directed development program for young Canadians age 14-25. The award program offers students the opportunity to set goals in the four areas of the program: Community Service, Skills, Physical Recreation and Adventurous Journey.
The goal of the award is to encourage young people’s participation in activities they already enjoy and others they may have yet to experience.
INNOVATE will introduce this program to students in grade 11 as a way to inspire and guide them towards a vision of creating a better world for themselves and others, with a focus on challenge-based experiential learning.
Visit www.dukeofed.org for more information.