Reasons to study the French language
- One of the two official languages of Canada.
- Spoken in 55 countries across 5 continents and by over 300 million people.
- France is the number one tourist destination in the world.
- Become competitive in the national and international job market.
- Language of international relations: official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the European Union, the International Red Cross and much more.
- Language of culture: opens the door to art, music, fashion, food, architecture and literature.
- Language of love: melodious and romantic language with a relatively quick learning curve.
- French provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary.
- Foreign language study can help to increase problem-solving skills, memory, and self-discipline.
Learning another (or multiple) languages enriches our understanding of the world and each other.
Reasons to study the Spanish language
- Be international-Spanish is an international language that has embraced words from Arabic and the Latin language. By the number of people who speak it, Spanish is the second most spoken language.
- Understand the world around you– many words in English, and subjects like science are came from Spanish and Latin words. Knowing Spanish will help you understand and link content much easier.
- Connect with the world– when you travel and within our community you will find that speaking in their native language helps to bridge any cultural gaps. You get a deeper appreciation of the culture’s customs, art, music, and food.
- Explore your future-in our global economy employers are looking for workers that know different languages and understand other cultures. Not only does it make you a valuable candidate in our multicultural country, but also abroad. Many times, employees are required to travel outside of Canada.
Expand your skills– a foreign language can improve your ability to analyze and interpret information and help you succeed in many other subject areas. It will open the doors to learn other languages like Italian, French, Romanian and Portuguese.
French & Spanish Program
|GRADE 9||GRADE 10||GRADE 11||GRADE 12|
*** LWSDUI will be offered starting in 2021-2022.
Extended French Magnet Program
- Field trips: Elora crêperie and film excursion, Toronto French Theatre performance, Sablétine luncheon
- Winter trip to St-Donat, Quebec to explore Québécois culture and heritage
- March Break trip to Europe
CEEF (Canadian Education Exchange Foundation) 3-month and 1-month (summer) reciprocal exchange programs
The CEFR explained
The CEFR document
The DELF explained
Discover your career path
French and Spanish are of benefit to any career path! No matter if you’re planning to go into medicine, construction, law or technology, you will encounter people and situations where your language skills will be an asset.
Here are a few specific career paths that will have you using French or Spanish every day:
- Government job
- Foreign intelligence
- NGO staff
- Teacher of a foreign language
- Linguistic job in the military
- Online content creator or blogger
- Customer service
- Flight attendant
- Publisher, proofreader, editor
- Tour guide
- Resort staff
- Working abroad in the field of your choice